The Palantir

The Palantir

State of the art academy: Gene Buinger Technology Center opens for classes

Ashley Romero, staffer

Gene Buinger Academy open.

On May 14, 2011, a bond package that included the new Career & Technology Education Center, or CTE Center, was approved to replace the old Technical Education Center in summer of 2014.

The new tech center remained in its same location, but was completely rebuilt to become a 2-story building that is now approximately 140,000 square feet.

The new tech center includes space for career building classes such as Cosmetology, Culinary Arts, Architecture, Animation and Audio/Video Production, Automotive Technology, Law & Public safety, and many more. There are currently over 70 different Career and Technology classes.

“Because of how updated our equipment is, the tech center has definitely created many new opportunities,” senior Amy Spencer said. “I am really happy about the new stations they have added in cosmetology. They need to add a few more, though, because our class is growing to be about 50 students, which is great.”

Students are also awed by the sheer beauty of the new building.

“It is straight-up gorgeous,” Junior Inara Dharani said. “But the stairs take a whole lot out of me every morning.”

By expanding the course selections, the CTE Center will be able to achieve their mission statement: “[We] will provide students opportunities to explore and develop personal and professional goals in order to achieve college & career readiness.”

Students are glad that the new tech center is so much better in comparison to the previous one.

“The new tech center is really fancy and big compared to the old one… there is even more room to move around,” senior Daniel Corona said.

For more information on the Gene A. Buinger Career & Technical Education Academy, visit their website.

A photo gallery is available with pictures from many different courses.